Contradictions and the Favor of God


As I sit on the front porch of the mission house in Suna, Migori Kenya East Africa I am reminded of how far from my old home I am and what a blessed week it has been.  The days seem to have passed quickly and yet time at the mission house moves slowly.  How is this possible?  I know I’ve spent much time sleeping, trying to catch naps when I can.  Last week packing, getting ready to leave and saying goodbye to all our loved ones was taxing both physically and emotionally.  I have never had such a desire to leave and yet a longing to stay.  Another contradiction, how can this be? 
Well last week we had many late nights and early mornings as we were making final preparations.  This past Monday our good friends from church, Brother Jeff and Sonny Beck, took us to Bush Airport with 11 trunks and 2 guitars (and assorted carry ons).  As I was telling my family before I left it is both hard and easy to pack your entire life into 3 trunks (another contradiction).  We each had 3 trunks for personal, 1 for Hope’s school work and supplies and 1 for setting up home and office in Kenya.  Each trunk could weigh no more than 50 lbs.  So all those items that seemed so necessary to you before, suddenly don’t seem so important when you are reaching your 150 lb weight limit.   You realize quickly what is really necessary for survival and what you can live without.  This was easier for my wife and me than for our teenage daughter.  However she was very flexible and understanding.  She has done a wonderful job adjusting to this new life and we couldn’t be more proud of her.
So we arrive at the KLM Airways desk with all our belongings.  2 weeks prior KLM (through their partner Delta) had waived baggage fees on 9 of our trunks because we were missionaries.  What a blessing!  We were greeted at the KLM desk by their Ambassador Erma, a most delightful lady.  She was so friendly and helpful.  She helped us get our boarding passes and get our luggage checked in quickly.  What a pleasure it is to see someone who truly loves their job and the company they work for.  This was my first ever experience with KLM but I knew that if Erma was an example of the type of employees they hire, then they had just become my new favorite airlines. 
It was quickly becoming evident that the favor of God was with us on this trip.  Not only had I and my family been praying for weeks for this trip but also my extended family and our family at our church Living Faith Outreach (LFO).  So we were not even surprised when KLM waived the fees on our guitars as well.  We made it through security quickly (another miracle) with no problems.  And we had an enjoyable 2 flights from Houston to Amsterdam and then to Kenya.  Once again KLM did an outstanding job.  We had the most wonderful flight attendants.  Astrid served us from Houston to Amsterdam and Petra served us from Amsterdam to Nairobi.  Even though we were flying coach they treated us like we were in First Class (again the favor of God).  They made sure we were comfortable at all times and had everything we needed.  As if that wasn’t enough, the food was excellent as well.  I might have actually gained weight from the airline food it was so good.  When have you ever heard that before?  I can’t say enough about the wonderful service we received from KLM.  And the miracles weren’t over.
Looking out the window on the second leg of our journey and seeing nothing but the desert sands of Egypt was my first clue that “I was no longer in Kansas anymore”.  I think this was the first time it hit me that I was no longer in America and wouldn’t be again for a few years.  There were many mixed emotions, excitement, trepidation and loss were just a few.  We arrived at Jomo Kenyatta Airport in Nairobi and again the miracle favor of God was with us.  We were able to get our visas to enter the country quickly (we got pulled from a long line and placed in a nearly empty line) and with no problems, favor.  All our baggage arrived, was intact and unharmed, favor.  We walked right up to probably the friendliest customs agent in Kenya and within 5 minutes he let us go.  He didn’t even open one of our bags, favor!
As I close this, my first official blog entry, I can’t help but be filled with gratitude towards God.  Anyone who has flown internationally will testify what a miraculous trip we had.  Not one negative experience and everyone we met along the way was kind, friendly and helpful.  That is the power of prayer.  That is the favor of God.  And you can experience it yourself.  The Bible says that God does not play favorites.  If he did it for us He will do it for you in your life as well.  Start praying and believing for the favor of God in your life.  I give thanks to Brother Phillip at LFO for teaching me about the favor of God. 

In closing I must give thanks to some very special people without whom this journey would not be possible.  Josh and Leah who allowed us to live in their house after we sold ours.  Bruce and Sharon who allowed us to live in their house when Josh & Leah’s was sold.  All our faithful supporters who believed in us and the work we are doing for God.  And finally thanks to John & Jeana who pastor the most amazing church in the world, Living Faith Outreach in Dickinson, TX.  We have sat under their tutelage for 14 years and they have cared for us, mentored us, and prepared us for this awesome journey into the heart of Africa.  And of course all thanks goes to Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior who makes all things possible.

Comments

Popular Posts